We are looking for smart, hard-working people who are self-proclaimed energy geeks, and whose resumes reflect their expertise and passion. Our employees are motivated, forward-thinking, and passionate about preserving our planet’s resources.
SLP accommodates applicants who need assistance in applying for current openings. If you feel that you need assistance applying, please contact HR at (510) 845.2997 ext 124.
What is the workplace environment like?
All Sun Light & Power team members are encouraged to develop a healthy life-work balance. Inside the office, employees enjoy a casual, open-seating atmosphere where well-behaved dogs are welcome. Out in the field, our crews work four ten-hour days per week in order to recuperate during a three-day weekend, every weekend. Throughout the company, safety comes first, expertise is respected, and collaboration is expected. We hold company events several times a year, and get together for the Team Bike Challenge each May, winning first place among medium-sized companies for five years. Meet a few of our team members here.
How is SLP green?
Our company culture values “walking the talk.” We power our office with solar energy. We recycle, compost and reuse whenever possible. Our fleet of trucks runs on bio-diesel, and our president has been driving an electric car since 2000. Many of our employees eco-commute via bike, bus or train.
- Reduce: Our sales office is passively heated by a Trombe wall. Most of our work spaces use overhead day lighting. And of course, a portion of our electricity bill is offset by a solar electric system.
- Reuse: We reuse whenever possible, including office furniture, file folders and anything that may be repaired or re-gifted. We offer reusable water bottles and coffee cups as promotional gifts, and encourage compostable or cloth diaper service as a shower gift to our expectant team members.
- Recycle: We recycle everything from scrap metal to the cardboard our PV modules come in. Our staff uses recycled content office products and every desk has a paper recycling station nearby.
- Rot: We compost food waste, paper plates, cups, napkins and most everything else allowed within Alameda County.
- Travel and eco-commuting: Our fleet of trucks runs on bio-diesel and our President has driven an electric car since 2000. Many of our team members bike or ride public transit to work. Each May our bikers compete with other medium-sized companies in the Team Bike Challenge – and we’ve won first place in our category five years running.
- Sustainable buying: Company events typically feature vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free food options as well as sustainably harvested fish, poultry and beef whenever possible. We buy from local vendors, especially fellow Benefit Corporations.
Why do we call ourselves a destination company?
Many SLP employees worked very hard to become part of the team. Some volunteered with local nonprofits to gain experience, others made lateral moves to get a foot in the door, and a few relocated from out of state to be with us. Why? Because our unique culture was – and is – right for them.
Our Affirmative Action Statement:
To build a diverse workforce, Sun Light & Power encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women. At Sun Light & Power we have extended consideration beyond the protected groups defined by law to include gender identity or expression and sexual orientation: EEO.
Our People of the Sun speak out
My experience here at SLP is that everyone is kind, intelligent, welcoming, dedicated and fun.
- -Darlene, AP & PR Specialist
Where else could I drive a bio-diesel van?
I find that in working for a cause I can truly believe in, I am able to tap into an energy that is greater than myself (as well as the sun).
I am motivated by a team whose integrity and core principles are shared throughout, working toward a common good.
Knowing you are part of such a team is a great feeling!
- Josh, Procurement Supervisor
I'm a messenger. My owner is on the sales team. He loves the relationships he has built with his team and clients.
I have found the quality of people refreshing and the level of collaboration exciting.
- Gerry - Estimator
I love that SLP allows my owner to bring me to work. I also very much appreciate the patience and understanding everyone has with me, especially when I feel so overwhelmed with joy that I bark.
Many members of our team could be working on Wall Street, for Google or Lockheed Martin – becoming rich and riding around in Facebook buses – but they're not. We are working together on Folger Ave. to change the way we power our communities, spread the doctrine of sustainability and disrupt the current fossil fuel energy paradigm – one roof at a time. That's awesome.
- Jesse, Executive Sales Consultant