We are proud to be a Certified Benefit Corporation
As one of the best solar power companies, Sun Light & Power is both a California Benefit Corporation (an alternative form of legal incorporation that enables for-profit entities to integrate social and environmental goals into their business operations) and a certified B Corp (a trade designation developed by the nonprofit B Lab). Both of these designations signal our fundamental belief that as one of the best solar power companies, the power of business can be used to tackle important social and environmental problems. We do this while providing a healthy and sustainable workplace for our employees. Sun Light & Power was one of the first 15 Benefit Corporations in California. This means our priorities are “People, Planet, and Prosperity.”
B Corp certification is like an organic produce certification for sustainable businesses. It is Patagonia versus Walmart. If you vote with your dollars and care about social and environmental issues, do business with B Corps and become a part of the solution!
Benefit Corporations are required to create a material positive impact on society and the environment. They are expected to meet the highest standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and most importantly, accountability. They are also required to measure and report on the corporation’s impact on employees, suppliers, community, customers and the environment. Learn more at B Lab’s Benefit Corp Information Center.
Sun Light & Power was honored as Best for the World! Visit the press release.
Check out the Benefit Corp Dream to learn more about this incredible movement in action. Join us!
Walking the Talk: How We Strive to be Good Corporate Citizens
- We pay fair living wages.
- We provide generous paternity and maternity leave.
- We allow extra personal days off for our employees to engage in volunteerism and community service.
- We monitor our carbon footprint.
- Our office layout/building materials promote sustainability (water efficiency, energy efficiency, and reusable materials).
- We run our office on solar power.
- We consider items that can be reused or composted when purchasing office supplies, planning events or buying gifts.
- We choose suppliers with similar green philosophies and patronize local businesses whenever possible.
- We have a fleet of bio-diesel vehicles with extra passenger space for carpooling.
- We do work for nonprofit agencies.
- We work with other B Corps.
- We promote energy-efficient housing for low-income communities.
- We support philanthropic events and organizations, including Bay Clean-Up Day, the Climate Ride, Bike to Work Month, the Albany Education Foundation, the American Institute of Architects, San Francisco, Berkeley Earth Day, Albany Green Day, BRIDGE Housing, Eden Housing, Satellite Housing, Resources for Community Development, the East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation, Ecumenical Affordable Housing, the Affordable Housing Association, Architects/Designers/Planners for Social Responsibility, California Interfaith Power & Light and GRID Alternatives.
- We participate in programs that provide solar training to local residents, including Solar Richmond, Cypress Mandela, and the Treasure Island Training program.
We are a certified Alameda Green Business!
Have questions about a solar installation or B Corps? Fill out the form today!