All Sun Light & Power team members are encouraged to develop a healthy life-work balance. Inside the office, employees enjoy a casual, open-seating atmosphere where well-behaved dogs are welcome. Out in the field, our crews work four ten-hour days per week in order to recuperate during a three-day weekend, every weekend. Throughout the company, safety comes first, expertise is respected, and collaboration is expected. We hold company events several times a year, and get together for the Team Bike Challenge each May, winning first place among medium-sized companies for five years. Meet a few of our team members here.
How is SLP green?
Our company culture values “walking the talk.” We power our office with solar energy. We recycle, compost and reuse whenever possible. Our fleet of trucks runs on bio-diesel, and our president has been driving an electric car since 2000. Many of our employees eco-commute via bike, bus or train.
- Reduce: Our sales office is passively heated by a Trombe wall. Most of our work spaces use overhead day lighting. And of course, a portion of our electricity bill is offset by a solar electric system.
- Reuse: We reuse whenever possible, including office furniture, file folders and anything that may be repaired or re-gifted. We offer reusable water bottles and coffee cups as promotional gifts, and encourage compostable or cloth diaper service as a shower gift to our expectant team members.
- Recycle: We recycle everything from scrap metal to the cardboard our PV modules come in. Our staff uses recycled content office products and every desk has a paper recycling station nearby.
- Rot: We compost food waste, paper plates, cups, napkins and most everything else allowed within Alameda County.
- Travel and eco-commuting: Our fleet of trucks runs on bio-diesel and our President has driven an electric car since 2000. Many of our team members bike or ride public transit to work. Each May our bikers compete with other medium-sized companies in the Team Bike Challenge – and we’ve won first place in our category five years running.
- Sustainable buying: Company events typically feature vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free food options as well as sustainably harvested fish, poultry and beef whenever possible. We buy from local vendors, especially fellow Benefit Corporations.
Why do we call ourselves a destination company?
Many SLP employees worked very hard to become part of the team. Some volunteered with local nonprofits to gain experience, others made lateral moves to get a foot in the door, and a few relocated from out of state to be with us. Why? Because our unique culture was – and is – right for them.
Our Affirmative Action Statement:
Sun Light & Power believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered teams are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.